Do you own a home that does not have air ducts and you need to choose between window units and ductless air conditioning? It is difficult to decide which one is right for you. In this blog post, I will cover the pros and cons to each option. Read on.
Window Units and Ductless: The Pros & Cons
Here are the benefits and draw backs of using window units for air conditioning:
- They are easy and inexpensive to install
- There are low upfront equipment costs
- Window units reduce light in your home because they block a portion of the window
- They are a security hazard, as thieves can remove a window unit to enter your home
- Units are noisy (47–63 decibels)
- Many homeowners don’t like how they look on the interior and exterior of their home
Below are the pros and cons of using a ductless system:
- Ductless systems are compact and can be placed almost anywhere
- There is no window required
- This option adds value to your property
- They are much quieter than window units
- Ductless is safer because there is no part that can be easily removed for easy access
- They can be set to cool different parts of your home (zoned)
- Ductless is more expensive to install
- This system requires a qualified installer
So, Which Choice is Right for You?
Now that you know the pros and cons of window units and ductless, it really comes down to two major factors. The first thing to consider is your budget. Ductless systems are more expensive upfront, but in the long run will lead to cost savings. So, ductless wins in this category. The second thing to think about is the size and space of your home. Do you have limited window space? Or, are there multiple rooms you’d like to cool? If so, a ductless system is probably the right fit for you. These systems don’t have to go in a window and can go on walls or even the floor. You can also program a ductless system to cool different rooms in your home at varying temperatures, if you get multiple indoor units.
Need to Contact a Professional?
When it comes to window units and ductless systems to cool your space, ductless options are typically the best choice. Contact RE Sanders, Inc. to schedule an appointment with one of our cooling specialists. We’ll visit your home to help you decide what air conditioning option is best for your home.